Which Is Better?
Painted or Stained?
The Pro’s and Cons of Painted Cabinets Vs. Stained Cabinets
Painted cabinets Vs. stained cabinets. Which is better? Things change over time, and one thing that has change is today you have MANY more color choices in your kitchen than historical kitchen options.
Years ago, stain was the option. Recent years have brought in paint colors galore and have opened up many new horizons when choosing your colors in a kitchen remodel.
Which one is better? Which one should you choose? We show the pro’s and con’s of painted cabinets vs. stained cabinets below and highlight the main differences to consider when doing a kitchen to help you make the best decision for your home.
Stained Cabinet Benefits
- Wood – Stain highlights the character of wood. If you like the look of wood, and want that to be a focal point in your kitchen, stain may be your best choice. Stain is thinner than paint, so it allows the look and the beauty of the wood to show through.
- Budget – Stained cabinets costs less than paint normally, so it can be more economical to choose stain.
- Maintenance – Painted or stained cabinets fade over time and can be difficult to repair and match the color. That being said, stain gives you an easier opportunity to match if repair is necessary.
Stained Cabinet Drawbacks
- Stain shows more of the wood texture behind it, so blemishes or major variations will highlight, not hide.
- Some stains show dirt and dust more, requiring more care & maintenance.
Painted Cabinets Benefits
- Variety – With paint colors there is a huge number of choices. You can even mix colors in the same kitchen or match colors from other items in your home.
- The Look – Paint gives a clean, clear, flawless look that can add to any theme of your kitchen.
Painted Cabinet Drawbacks
- If you like the look of wood, that look will be hidden under painted cabinets.
- Painted cabinets may cost 10-15% more than stained cabinets.
- Unless you’re able to keep some of the paint used on your cabinets, it may be very difficult to find it and match if repairs are necessary.
At Central Cabinetry, we do the best of both stained and painted cabinets. Our design experts can help you choose the best option for your project. To begin the discussion, contact an expert now.
Also download our FREE design style guide to help you see the amazing possibilities for a new kitchen.
Download Our FREE Kitchen Style Guide
Download our FREE style guide to help you know the best style for your new or remodel kitchen or bath.