Many homeowners wonder if it is worth remodeling your kitchen if you are putting your home up for sale. While there is not quick or straight answer, we can give you some things to think about to help you decide. Some homes may require a complete Orlando kitchen remodel while others can get buy with some minor updates.
If you talk to almost any realtor they will tell you that the kitchen is one of the biggest selling points of the home. Many will refer to the kitchen as buyers bait. A previous article Which Home Remodeling Projects Will Add Value to Your Florida Home? states that a kitchen remodel is the #1 project that you can expect the biggest return on your investment. For many homebuyers the kitchen in your home can be a deal breaker. Most buyers can overlook the wall color or even that carpet that can easily be changed, but most dont want to take on an expensive remodeling project
If your kitchen is in relatively good shape than we suggest some minor updates such as changing the hardware, getting a new countertop, a fresh coat of paint on the walls, and possibly adding an island of a different color for a two toned look. However, if your kitchen is falling apart dont waste your time painting cabinets and trying to patch a kitchen that is well beyond its years. The buyer will notice and it will be a waste of time and money. If you know you need a new kitchen than we suggest the following tips so you are more likely to get a return on your investment and increase the likelihood of selling your home.
- Keep the cost within 6-10 percent of the homes value
- Keep it simple and dont go overboard
- Choose a streamlined look and go with a transitional kitchen style that appeals to most homeowners
- Go with the popular trends for your neighborhood
- Choose a neutral cabinet finish such as white or standard wood finishes
- Make sure all your appliances match
- Use updated and quality hardware
- Include some organization and storage options
- Dont knock down walls
- Dont move plumbing or electrical
- Keep the current layout if possible
If you are planning on selling your home and would like to talk to one of our kitchen design experts at Central Cabinetry about remodeling your kitchen for resell you can contact us here. They will look at your kitchen and help you decide whether you need a complete kitchen remodel or can get by with some less expensive kitchen updates.
Click below for a free download and learn what steps to take to get a remodeling quote.