You finally have that new kitchen you have been dreaming of. Like any homeowner you want to keep that kitchen looking new. At the same time it is inevitable that when using your kitchen it will get dirty no matter how hard you try. Not to mention all the places that germs can grow and hide in your kitchen. So what cleaners are safe to use on your new cabinets and countertops? There are many cleaners that can damage or ruin the finish of these surfaces. Its important to learn what is safe to use and clean with so you can enjoy that new kitchen look for years to come.
Caring for your cabinets
- Clean up spills immediately. Prolonged exposure to food or grease can cause permanent damage or discoloration.
- Use a soft cotton cloth with warm water and dry immediately using another cloth. If necessary use a mild dish soap.
- Avoid harsh or abrasive cleaners with bleach and ammonia.
- Dont use regular dishcloths or sponges. They may contain particles that can scratch and damage the finish of the cabinets.
- Do not use silicone based cleaning, waxing or polishing products. The wax can build up over time and create a hazy yellowed appearance.
- Most manufacturers offer a touch up kit to repair nicks and dings that may occur through everyday kitchen and use.
- Prevent direct heat and sunlight exposure to cabinets. It can fade or discolor some finishes. You will want to consider installing blinds or a special window covering.
To read the manufacturers full recommendations for cleaning and care for your cabinets click here.
Caring for your Countertops
Not all countertops are created equal. The maintenance and care for your countertop will be determined by the material you use. We can give you some basic guidelines but you will want to go to directly to the manufacturer or your countertop material for specific cleaning and care instructions.
- In most cases using warm water with a mild dish soap is all that is needed.
- Do not let drinks such as punch sit on the counter. Materials such as marble and some laminates will absorb the color and stain.
- Never use window cleaners or harsh abrasives. They can scratch the surface. They can also dull the finish of granite.
- Avoid using sponges, as they tend to hold bacteria and can spread the bacteria more easily.
- There are some countertop polish cleaners for granite and quartz that can be purchased
- Do not place hot materials or pans on your counters. It can cause burn or scorch marks especially on laminate.
When purchasing a kitchen through Central Cabinetry we can assure you that with the high quality of cabinets we use and the correct care and cleaning, your kitchen will look new for years. Our staff can also further discuss with you your cleaning options and guide you to the manufacturers recommendations for your cabinets and countertops. If you are considering a Orlando kitchen remodel and would like to contact us about setting up and appointment for a free kitchen design consultation you can contact us here.
Click below to download your free guide to cabinetry.