One of the first decisions you will have to make when designing a new kitchen remodel is choosing the layout. Unless you are planning on knocking down walls sometimes your kitchen layout is already decided for you. In some instances it is not really worth going to the extra expense to move walls and plumbing because you wont see a return on your investment. Whats most important is making sure that the layout you do choose is well planned and improves the overall function and aesthetics of the home.
The galley kitchen, also known as a corridor kitchen, is one of the more user-friendly and efficient kitchen layouts. It is ideal for smaller kitchens or kitchens that are limited on space. Cabinets and appliances are located on two parallel walls. It is ideal because homeowners have what they need within close proximity. It also maximizes the space you have and gives you more countertop and kitchen cabinet storage. It can be one of the more affordable kitchen layouts.
Galley Kitchen Design Tips
- Walls should be a minimum of 8 feet apart so you have room to open cabinets and appliances.
- Identify work zones and utilize innovative storage options to increase the overall function of the kitchen.
- Choose flooring that runs vertical.
- Using lighter color cabinet finishes will make the kitchen appear larger and more open.
- When possible include a window or pass through window to another room to improve entertaining
- Make sure you have a designated eating area. Sometimes it can be in the kitchen but is usually a dining room adjacent to the kitchen.
- Utilize layered lighting.
To read the complete Houzz article on how to make a galley kitchen work better for you click here.
Dont assume that if you have a larger home a galley kitchen is not for you. Galley kitchens are very versatile and look great with any size home. If you do have a larger space for a kitchen it is very common to see an island in the center. It adds both style and function.
If you are considering purchasing Orlando kitchen cabinets for your upcoming Orlando custom kitchen remodel our kitchen remodeling experts at Central Cabinetry would love to have a conversation with you. We can help you explore and look at other common kitchen layouts and help you determine if a galley kitchen layout is right for your Florida home remodeling project. If you would like to come in for a free initial consultation to discuss your kitchen design and layout options you can contact us here.
Click below to download a free kitchen design layout guide.